Monday, February 11, 2008

couples that march together stay together

Saturday, Andi and I joined up with some folks from Planned Parenthood to participate in HKONJ. This was an interesting time. When you have a far-reaching 14-point agenda, you'll see people that probably support one point much more than others. That's a given. It's a given that every group will be handing out information on their particular agenda.

What's more fun is the conspiracy theorists trying to get subscriptions to their -for lack of a better word- publications. They read your sign, try to figure out how comprehensive sex ed fits into their theory that 9/11 was an inside job, and give you their pitch. It was less than impressive, but kind of hilarious.

Also, the "vegan lobby" showed up at the end of the march. I'm not really sure I know how that's a political issue, but I was actually made more uncomfortable being identified as possibly sympathetic to their cause than I was the conspiracy theorists.

Still, it was a good time and I met some interesting folks. Not to mention, I was one of a number that might have even drawn some attention to some points that need attention*. Not a bad day.




*Some of the 14 points on that agenda are much stronger than the others. I'll leave it to you to determine which is which.

No comments: