Monday, October 1, 2007

punt

I may regret this declaration later, but 4 weeks into the NFL season I'm declaring my beloved Chicago Bears finished. Some people will tell me that this is premature. They'll tell me that, in the NFC, no one is really out until they've been mathematically eliminated.

To these folks, I'll say that the Chicago defense was out 6 starters this past weekend, the O-line is having trouble with the basics of blocking, Cedric Benson still has a whole heckuva lot to prove, they gave up 34 points to Detroit in one quarter, and then there's that whole trend with Super Bowl losers not doing so hot in the following season working against them.

This is why I'm doing a complete 180 of my complete 180 on the starting QB status of Rex Grossman. You see, Rex is in a contract year. No one is going to pretend that Brian Griese is a long-term answer to the quarterback question(especially since 2 red zone INT's and one pick-6 aren't any better than Rex's productivity). The Bears clearly don't think of Former Rookie Sensation Kyle Orton as the future.

All of this is to say that the Bears need to give Grossman the next 12 games to either prove he's their man or give them their biggest job for what's already shaping up to be a busy offseason. Go ahead and do it Chicago. At this point, I don't think you actually have that much to lose by doing so.

No comments: