Saturday, September 3, 2005

heavy

New Orleans. What do I think?

I think it's horrible. I think it's horrible that people couldn't affort to evacuate. I think it's horrible that there are people who have no idea what happened to their family. I think it's horrible that the help for those people has been so inadequate. I think it's horrible that an idiot with a gun can slow things down. I think it's horrible that it took days for our president to recognize a problem that he helped cause (Jennings has helpful links for those who are confused). I think it's horrible that there are "shoot to kill" orders for people trying to get basic living supplies. I think it's horrible that only now are some people understanding that there even is a lower class of real human beings. I think it's horrible that countless people have no chance of getting back even a fraction of what they lost. I think it's horrible that all the human misery has led to violence.

Mostly, though, I think it's horrible that last night I sat in my air conditioned house after eating a good meal with a bottle of water while watching television and shaking my head at how horrible things are.

No comments: